Maxillofacial surgery is the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of disorders affecting the mouth, jaw, face, and neck. When a dental issue is too complex to correct, a dentist or orthodontist might refer the patient to a maxillofacial surgeon. There are many procedures that a maxillofacial surgeon specializes in, including overbites, underbites, jaw asymmetry, and several other jaw deformities and oral diseases. Maxillofacial surgery improves the health of the patient, as well as the appearance of the face by correcting the symmetry.
Oral and maxillofacial surgeons require an extensive education in dentistry, as well as dental surgery and maxillofacial surgery. This is because maxillofacial surgery is extremely complex as it involves the mouth and jaw and essential nerves that run through the face. At Dr G Dental Studio, you can count on our team to provide you with VIP treatment, to diagnoses, and recovery that you need. We understand that dealing with oral and jaw issues can be difficult, and we want to ensure you that you do not have to deal with it any longer. We are here to provide you with the results that you need and deserve. Here are some of the several procedures that our maxillofacial surgeon specializes in:
- Orthognathic surgery: Orthognathic surgery, also known as jaw surgery, corrects the irregularities of the jaw bones and the alignment of the teeth and jaw to improve their functionality.
- Bone grafting: Bone grafting is a surgical procedure that is performed by using transplanted bone to repair the damaged bones and may be required prior to dental implants.
- Cleft lip and cleft palate surgery: Cleft lip and palate surgery, also known as palatoplasty, repairs and restores the function to the lips and mouth and is typically repaired between 3 to 6 months of age.
- Sinus lift: Sinus lift surgery is performed by increasing the amount of bone in the posterior maxilla (upper jaw bone) and may be required prior to dental implants.
- Impacted wisdom teeth: Impacted wisdom teeth are the third molars at the back of the mouth that do not have sufficient room to emerge or develop as normal. Therefore, the wisdom impacted wisdom teeth may need to be extracted.
- Tooth and bone loss: When a patient is missing teeth, dental implants can be placed in the jawbone that will serve as a foundation for teeth replacements.
- Facial trauma/injury: Facial trauma and/or injury, such as a fractured or dislocated jaw can be treated to improve the structure of the jawbone, facial region, and teeth.
- Sleep apnea: Sleep apnea can be treated with an oral appliance and can be an effective treatment option.
While these are just some of the treatments that we provide, Dr G Dental Studio specializes in several other types of maxillofacial surgery in Miami. If you are suffering from jawbone, oral, or facial issues, it is imperative that you seek help from an oral and maxillofacial surgeon as soon as possible to preserve your health and structure of your facial structure. Contact our team today if you are in need of maxillofacial surgery.