Bridges are another alternative to dental implants, but why would you choose implants over bridges? Luckily, we’ve got the reasons why implants are believed to be a superior solution by the majority of dental professionals.
- Durability — Dental implants are designed to last a lifetime so, if properly cared for, will not require replacement. Bridges are an alternative option for those in need of replacement teeth, but with a much shorter life expectancy than implants, typically requiring replacement every ten years.
- Cost-Effectiveness – Since dental implants have a much better long-term prognosis, they are more cost-effective than the alternative option of a bridge which, again, is expected to require replacement after ten years.
- Bone Preservation – Since dental implants are essentially substitute tooth roots, they provide the same function as natural tooth roots, specifically the function of stimulating the bone, preserving it and preventing the bone loss that would normally occur when teeth are missing. Bridges do not offer this same benefit. In fact, if you replace a front tooth with a tooth supported bridge, eventually the gums and bone above the replacement tooth collapse, leaving the tooth suspending without support.
- Health of Adjacent Teeth – Implant restorations do not involve adjacent teeth, whereas bridges compromise the long-term health of adjacent teeth by removing the enamel and placing additional forces on them. Further, each time the bridge is replaced, more tooth structure is removed.
- Esthetics and Function – With dental implants, your replacement teeth will appear and function more like natural teeth, with greater comfort and confidence when smiling, speaking, and eating. Further, since implants preserve bone and prevent deterioration of the facial structures, appearance is improved as a result; whereas, traditional bridges do not deliver these same kind of benefits.
- Oral Hygiene and Maintenance — Since implant supported crowns can be cleaned like a natural tooth, oral hygiene and care is a lot easier and more convenient in comparison to the cleaning and care of bridges. Bridges are difficult to clean and susceptible to decay, root canals, and gum problems.